espeakup and pulseaudio

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Feb 28 15:55:55 EST 2011

I don't know if you were replying to my message or someone else.  But
I think I will try to run speech dispatcher exclusively through ALSA
and run it as a central system-wide service like before and let pulse
do its thing when I run X.  Fortunately, my sound card (SB Live) does
support multiple channels.  As a surprise, my HP laptop also supported
multiple channels too (Realtech something or other) so pulse would be
less valuable to me except for more flexible volume controls in
gnome.  Also, I think it would be a bit of a chore to completely
remove pulse from my system now but I can avoid using it in the
console though.