espeakup and pulseaudio

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Feb 28 00:57:02 EST 2011

The only reason I am even bothering to keep pulseaudio around is the
ability to control streams' volume independently of each other and I
seem to be getting more sound events to play now since I started using
pulse in gnome.  But I can't stand the fact that when I try to get
speech dispatcher to autosspawn properly when I startx, well that's
another matter and a very bad one at that.  I had much better luck
running speech dispatcher as a system-wide service with ALSA and then
just have Orca start up automatically when I startx gnome.  That
combination just seems to work better for me.  So, I'm about to change
speechd back to do just that.  I don't like the volume jumping all
over the place every time I restart gnome.