speech-dispatcher and espeak

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Fri Feb 25 21:13:08 EST 2011

I believe there have been numerous patches, of which several improve
stability.  I have not had speech dispatcher crashes on my desktop
system for some time now and I'm using the latest git version to do
this.  I did have some issues for a vew days on my laptop but after
that, I got things straitened out on that 64 bit machine as well.

This pulse audio stuff just seems so unstable and unpredictable to
me.  I like it in gnome where I can manage separate volume levels for
different applications at the same time and I seem to be able to hear
some more windows type sound icons but that distortion and static is
too much for me to bare.  I'm tempted to leave speech-dispatcher to
use alsa and let pulse run for gnome and other things that aren't
affected by it.