spd-say seems confused.

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Thu Feb 24 23:40:06 EST 2011

I have to think about this a moment.  If you are going to use
autospawn and run as individual user, then you should not start
speechd up as a system service. The autospawn deal will start it for
you and then it should not pull in the environment variable
declaration or care about it.  I need to check that part out and see
if going back to user mode would cause a conflict with that
environment variable.  That will give me something to play with after
I get pulse going here.  So far, I have pulse going for playing media
files from the console.  I'm a bit chicken to restart ALSA just yet
because I don't wanna lose speakup with espeak.  Since ALSA is
configured now to use pulse, I might get away with not changing or
recompiling espeak yet.  If it weren't for the threat of losing speech
and thus access to my system, I would be a bit more brave here.  At
least I can ssh into this box from my laptop if I break speech, I
guess.