speech-dispatcher and espeak

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Tue Feb 22 17:32:56 EST 2011

Yeah but that isn't the whole of it.  You can get into the volume
control and specify which theme is used for alert sounds but you
cannot control other sound events from there.  I understand there is
supposed to be a full preference thing there and is available in other
distros but for some reason, it is not found in Arch and when I asked
about it in the arch-general list, someone mentioned having to install
gnome-pulse or some such.  Frankly, I'm so paranoid about installing
anything to do with pulse, I don't wanna lose speech or have the big
performance hits other pulse users constantly run into.