speech-dispatcher and espeak

Christopher Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Mon Feb 21 19:30:20 EST 2011

Christopher Moore <chris.w1gm at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to setup speech-dispatcher with spd-conf as a normal user.
> When I run the diagnostic tests, espeak, alsa and pulse respond.
> When I save the settings and try an spd-say, I get the message
> from the dummy voice.  The log says it can't load the output module,

Hello,
I assume you're still using ArchLinux.  Turns out that the
speech-dispatcher package in [extra] is broken.  Well, not completely.
The problem is that it doesn't depend on pulseaudio, even though the
default configuration sets the audio output method to pulse.
A quick fix is to edit
~/.speech-dispatcher/conf/speechd.conf.
Find the line containing AudioOutputMethod, and change pulse to alsa.
I'll file a bug on the ArchLinux bug tracker later.

-- Chris