2.6.37 and Speakup for Linux distros

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Sat Feb 19 09:58:34 EST 2011

Hi Keith,

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 07:48:31AM -0700, Keith Hinton wrote:
> Chuck,
> If a future Arch Linux installation is performed with a 2.6.37 kernel
> then what steps will be different in order to get Speakup working in
> Arch?

The standard netinstall ISO's for arch are not talking installs, and at
the moment Chris's modified installation ISO's will still be necessary.
But the kernel on the install ISO has nothing to do with the kernel
that ends up in the new system once it is installed.

> I wonder if Chris Brannon will need to provide talkingArch at this
> point, or if that wiki page can still be used for blind Arch users?
> Any thoughts would be valued, I think it will be awesome to see what happens.

The talking arch wiki page needs only slight revision in light of the
new kernel, perhaps it is already one, not sure about that. Basically
you simply no longer need to download the speakup package as part of
the installation procedure. However you do still need to download
espeakup and alsa-utils. I think the main advantage of including
speakup in the kernel is that the two will never become out-of-synch,
since any new kernel release will have to be made with all its various
parts self-consistent, and that would include speakup.

--
Chuck in Hudson.
My website is hallenbeck.ftml.net, my Jabber ID is chuckh1 at jabber.org