speakup for 2.6.35-25-generic kernel

Hussain Kaddhem hussainmkj at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 15:25:33 EST 2011

Hello. I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 on a Dell XPS m420 machine. Recently
after some updates, speakup stopped working. When I try to add it
using modprobe, I got a message along the lines of "Fatal: error
inserting speakup_soft
/lib/modules/2.6.35-25-generic/updates/dkms/speakup_soft.co: invalid
module format". I ran modinfo for speakup_soft, and here's what I got:

filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.35-25-generic/updates/dkms/speakup_soft.ko
version:        2.6
license:        GPL
author:         Kirk Reiser <kirk at braille.uwo.ca>
srcversion:     7B68183C049F135DCDCA2AC
depends:        speakup
vermagic:       2.6.35-24-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 686
parm:           start:Start the synthesizer once it is loaded. (short)

So apparently the module was being built against the wrong kernel
version. I purged the module using module assistant, then removed the
speakup-source package with aptitude. Reinstalled the package (again
with aptitude), reinstalled the module with module-assistant, same
problem. I figured that maybe the Ubuntu Repository was a bit out of
date. So I removed the module/package again. This time I downloaded
the tarball from the speakup website. I built it against the default
kernel (with make/make modules_install), same problem. Thinking that
maybe the default kernel wasn't the one I was using for some reason, I
built it again with the 2.6.35-25-generic kernel supplied in the
KERNELDIR with make. Same problem. Can anyone provide any help?