Speakup with vim

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Feb 14 04:10:39 EST 2011

Hello,
Seeing some of the packages available for vim and emacs, I have decided
I really should get on and start using one of those editors a bit more.
I seem to get on a bit better with the controls for vim so that is the
one I am putting more effort into learning.

Now what I want to know is what can be done to make vim work better with
speakup? I am sure there are other things so if anyone has a link to a
page giving some useful information then that would be good.

The one problem I notice most is that when I go into insert mode as I
type speakup seems to read from the status line rather than the
characters typed. Also related, when using j and k to move lines speakup
reads the status line as well rather than the line being moved to.

Putting the editor things to one side (there's plenty of information out
there for me to decide on that), would anyone suggest that may be vim is
not the way to go for best results with speakup/speech output, might
emacs be a better route to go?

Michael Whapples