using startx to run gnome

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sat Feb 12 16:17:39 EST 2011

I just installed gnome recently on my new laptop which is running Arch
and don't recall having to install any extra packages other than the
gnome and gnome-extra packages.  Well, in that, I had previously
installed xorg as instructed by the Arch wiki and I think I had to
install one of the video packages for my system; forgot with one
now. but I think there's a group to install gnome-video which might
cover this issue.  Beond that, I pretty much got gnome and Orca going
just fine.

I may go and look for xdg-dirs though since one little hickup was the
normal gnome user folders didn't automatically get created for some
reason.  I would have thought that would have gone in with standard
packages though.  Anyway, I have Arch Linux including gnome and Orca
just flying along nicely on two machines here.