please help with legacy grub

Pia pmikeal at comcast.net
Thu Feb 10 03:19:39 EST 2011

The best thing to do is get a GRML live CD.  GRML talks and should work as
a live CD with your system.  http://grml.org

You can use a cheat code to start speakup and then mount /dev/sda1 or
whatever your root partition is on your hard drive and then from there set
up grub either by running grub or chrooting into the environment on your
hard drive and running grub from there.  Note that it depends on what is
wrong as to whether you can get away without chrooting or not and if you
don't you also have to make sure you use the correct device names.  You
can also edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and /boot/grub/device.map manually as
needed.  Note that they will be under your mount point as well and so the
paths I gave will not be exactly what they will be once you boot GRML.  If
I did not explain how to do this specifically enough, please let me know,
but if I was too obvious in the things I mentioned, I also apologise.  You
sound like you are very competent with Linux, and so I don't always know
what I should or should not write as far as detail goes.

HTH,

Pia