A few questions regarding Speakup

Robert Cole rkcole72984 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 00:21:06 EST 2011

Hello, Kirk, everyone.

As far as the Arch virtual machine goes, I get the following errors at
startup concerning ALSA/PulseAudio after installing GNOME.

ALSA lib pulse.c:229:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect:
Connection refused

The garbled voice does not take place until I install GNOME under Arch.
I know that PulseAudio will be installed with GNOME under Arch. I
completely uninstalled GNOME and then simply installed the
pulseaudio-alsa and pulseaudio packages, and the same problem occurred
with the garbled voice at startup.

I am not sure what to do in this situation to find out how to resolve
this issue. I wish that I had a testing machine to try things like this
out as opposed to using virtual machines, but my only option right now
is virtualization.

Are there any other Arch users here on-list who successfully have
Speakup and GNOME/PulseAudio working together?

I am not a LInux guru (yet), but if you need me to provide any
particular information which would help in solving the issue I am
having, I should be able to get it for you.

Thanks for any help.

Take care.