preparing a windows machine for dual booting

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Thu Dec 8 11:12:25 EST 2011

Speaking of HP laptops, I own such a fine machine but they used up all
four primary partitions for windows, HP's inaccessible restore disk
stuff, a boot part and some other partition I can't remember the name
of.  I would like to set that one up to be a dual boot but I can't be
sure what partitions I can safely delete without screwing up the
environment.  The main windows partition seems to be in /dev/sda1; not
sda0.  Also, I would like to possibly replace the drive and some how
just reload back what windows stuff I have so I don't have to go out
and buy a new install disk of Win although that might be the
ultimately best way to restore windows on a new drive.  I would
consider a vertual machine approach but no matter, I need to have
linux running on that drive.  I do not want to run linux under a
windows host.