Some beginners questions

Thu Dec 1 08:09:29 EST 2011

Hello,

I started to use speakup under Debian Squeeze and I have a few beginners
questions.

If I move up the cursor one line with speakup + u, how can I jump to the
beginning or end of the line? At the moment I stand somewhere and must
search the beginning by pressing speakup + j until I'am there.

Is it possible to turn on the word echo, so that speakup reads the
current word after pressing space?

At the moment all non letters are pronounced in english. Is there a
translated version of the file i18n/characters for other languages
especially for german? If not does someone work on it?

I read your documentation file and found the list of shortcuts to
control speakup. I'am a laptop user and sadly I only could find the key
bindings for the desktop layout. I also tried speakups help system but
the key listing is incomplete. Could someone tell me the laptop key
bindings for the following commands?
1. cursor tracking mode (numpad *)
2. mark (/) for cut and paste

I also want to change the mapping of some keys. But I can't find the
file speakupmap.map in the directory
/usr/src/linux-<version_number>/drivers/char/speakup/. I didn't compiled
speakup into the kernel myself but use modprobe to activate it (Debian
Squeeze with kernel 3.0.0). Is there a method to do the key mapping anyway?

I tried to install the extra package speakup-tools but I got the
following error message:
[ 8119.984075] CIFS VFS: Error connecting to socket. Aborting operation
[ 8120.000189] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -115
What does this mean?

Thanks for help
Best regards
Eric