slackware release

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Apr 30 15:39:10 EDT 2011

April 29, 2011 Slackware released version 13.37.  This version offers the
choice of kernels from 2.6.37, 2.6.38, and 2.6.39 in it.  Probably speakup
was made to work with 2.6.37 but beyond that may be no man's land.  I have
a subscription so expect i'll probably have a box arrive at the post
office in a couple weeks and get to find out a few things.
Unfortunately, slackware has committed to kde and the only gnome
possibilities for it are either the stock gnome distribution from
gnome.org and 3rd party offerings some of which do not include
accessibility support.  I plan not to install kde on the new installation
since my version of blindness is no useable vision from birth and kde
accessibility may only be obtained by means of a complete rewrite of kde.
In future, kde I think will be held up as an example of how not to write
code so accessibility can't be bolted on later in those college courses
that teach accessibility programming.  Work is under way for qt so
eventually accessibility may be able to piggyback its way into kde on qt's
back.