Grub-pc and vga code or a way to have more rows and columns in console

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Apr 10 21:57:25 EDT 2011

Cheryl Homiak  <speakup at braille.uwo.ca> wrote:
>I did successfully upgrade to grub2/grub-pc and all is well as far as booting. But since I uncommented the terminal=console and since there seems to be no way to pass the vga=791 that I used before with
>my Thinkpad T23 so I could have more rows and columns on my screen, I'm stuck with 80 columns and 30 rows. I've googled and googled this but the solutions I've found seem to deal with the graphical
>interface and not the text consoles. Has anybody found a solution for this?

Why did you uncomment terminal=console?

>From earlier in the thread, it seems you have set up auditory feedback at the
Grub menu. I'm assuming you did this by uncommenting the line:
GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
in /etc/default/grub

I would be somewhat surprised if this requires terminal=console - did you try
it without? I haven't played with this feature yet, so I'm just guessing here.