Running Speakup on Ubuntu Lynx?

Hal haltec at frontier.com
Thu Sep 30 10:19:06 EDT 2010

On 09-28, Øyvind Lode wrote:
> Does Slackware include Speakup?
> Is it possible to install Slackware with software speech?

          For what it's worth: Slackware 13.0 can be installed with a
speakup.s kernel, that worked for me but I didn't document what I did.
:^(...

          However; I tried again with a fresh install of the huge.s
kernel that I couldn't get working so I tried again with the
huge-smp-2.6.29.6-smp kernel, and was able to test invoking espeak or
speak and typing text /or/ importing a text file and that worked..

         My notes say I had to do this: (I used the JFS file system for
the test.) Installed/compiled the following:

   libportaudio0-18.1-4mdk.i586.tgz     from the Mandrake repository.
                                        Required by PortAudio..
   pa_stable_v19_20071207.tar.gz
   speakup-3.1.5.tar.bz2
   espeakup-0.71.tar.bz2
   speech-dispatcher-0.7.tar.gz         Haven't tried this yet..

          The above on an i810, P III machine.. This message typed on a
different machine..
--
          Hal       UNIX-GNU/Linux; Slackware 10.2  kernel 2.6.13
               www.asciiribbon.org