Running Speakup on Ubuntu Lynx?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Tue Sep 28 12:28:18 EDT 2010

My last experience with Slackware is you had to use a hardware synth.
Yes, Speakup comes with Slackware; just use the speakup.s image if
memory serves me right.  I may be attempting a new Slackware install
on my old laptop here as no other distro will work on it; most distros
require newer processors than this laptop and Slackware was the only
one I could get to work on it.  I just hope the latest Slackware uses
a kernel that still allows speakup to use serial ports.  I think it is
kernels of 2.6.34 and later that speakup's serial support falls
appart.