Running Speakup on Ubuntu Lynx?

Adam Myrow myrowa at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 27 19:31:33 EDT 2010

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, Kenny Hitt wrote:

> In my opinion, pulseaudio is a badly behaved app with a developer who
> refuses to listen to the needs of blind users who use software speech.

I agree fully.  Apparently, I'm not alone in this, either.  There is a
version of Gnome for Slackware Linux called GSB.  The previous two
versions included Pulseaudio.  I always had to find some way to disable it
in order to use both Espeak and have sounds.  The current version ditched
Pulseaudio completely, and includes Espeak as one of its packages.  I
wouldn't even have messed with Gnome in Slackware 13.1 if they hadn't
decided to do this.  I hope others will soon follow this trend.  If
everybody drops Pulseaudio, either the developer will get the message, or
it will be abandoned.