Running Speakup on Ubuntu Lynx?

Garry Turkington gat.access at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 11:22:03 EDT 2010

Hi,

I've just tried to get the latest stable Speakup 3.1.5 running on a
Ubuntu 10.04.1 VM.

Speakup compiled and the modules loaded cleanly.  Espeakup compiled
but on launch it throws bt-audio-service-open connection refused
errors and I don't have console speech.

I remember having this exact problem years ago on maybe Ubuntu 8.10 or
so and I never solved it -- ended up moving to Debian.  But I've now
got a real need to have a fully accessible Ubuntu desktop.

Has anyone else encountered and hopefully solved this problem?

Alternatively, any advice for getting Speakup running on my Ubuntu
desktop welcomed.  I've got Orca running via Espeak and
Speech-dispatcher but I recall past issues trying to get both Orca and
Speakup running via speech-dispatcher on the one box.

Advice much welcomed!

Thanks,
Garry