questions about text-based e-mail

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Wed Sep 22 17:39:16 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 07:50:58AM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> Yeah, because speakupconf isn't run every time you switch consoles; I
> suppose if you ran it each time and could hack it to detect what was
> running at the time, just run it

> but then again, if you are in an application, there would be no way
> you could run speakupconf while that app is runnning.

Well, I use a script to load mutt anyway.  "m" for default mail
operations, and "gm" for gmail, which takes special handling and another
configuration file.  It wouldn't be much to write:

#!/bin/sh

# Load speakup's mutt configuration
/usr/bin/speakupconf load --config ~/.speakup/mutt

# Execute mutt for gmail
/usr/bin/mutt -F ~/.mutt/muttrc.gmail

# Reload speakup's default configuration
/usr/bin/speakupconf load --config ~/.speakup/speakup

	Like I said, I tend to do one thing at a time, so being able to
load up a special speakup configuration for a particular piece of
software would save on keypresses, but speakupconf lacks the
functionality for it.  Man pages are another example of where I like to
crank up the punctuation reading levels, or would want the option to
have them cranked up for me automatically.

				Michael