sox stat command - please help

Georgina Joyce r2gl at o2.co.uk
Fri Sep 3 13:16:20 EDT 2010

Hi All

I'm struggling with sox again.  Having resolved this problem last year I
just can't find the solution this year.  I should have noted the
solution but didn't.

Google searches just tell me how it used to be i.e.

$ sox foo.wav -e stat

I can't get it to work and I don't understand what it's complaining
about:

gena at orchid:~$ sox soaps/desert_island_discs_-_Barry_Manalow.wav -e stat
sox FAIL sox: --encoding: `stat' is not one of: signed-integer,
unsigned-integer, floating-point, ms-adpcm, ima-adpcm, oki-adpcm,
gsm-full-rate, u-law, mu-law,
a-law.
gena at orchid:~$ sox soaps/desert_island_discs_-_Barry_Manalow.wav effect
stat
sox FAIL formats: can't determine type of `effect'

Nor do I understand what it wants:

Effect usage:

stat [ -s N ] [ -rms ] [-freq] [ -v ] [ -d ]

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Gena

four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

    * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
(freedom 2).
    * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements
to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access
to the source code is a precondition for this.

Richard Matthew Stallman