espeakup, alsa, pulseaudio, and volume levels

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sun Oct 24 09:56:00 EDT 2010

Hello,

Getting back to the issue of volume levels in a future Debian installer
with software speech synthesis, I've just realized there's direct alsa
support in espeakup.  Would it perhaps be better to use that instead of
portaudio?

In any case, could somebody work on adding an option to set all the
muted audio levels to a middle value?  The installer could then pass it
to somehow make sure at least some audio goes through.

Also, the CMD_SET_VOLUME command only adjust the espeak volume, and not
the actual PCM volume for instance.  I'd say with the option mentioned
above it should also set all output volumes it can find.

Samuel