Configuring grub / grub2 to indicate the boot menu items

Kitty Litter n8kl at insightbb.com
Tue Oct 5 08:12:09 EDT 2010

        I am hardly a grub 2 expert but you need to edit /etc/default/grub
and uncomment the line grub_init_tune and modify the tempo, frequency and
duration to get the desired beep. Then you must run update-grub as root to
incorporate these changes into /boot/grub/grub.cfg. You aren't supposed to
edit this file directly.
If you try putting a ctrl-g in the title of a menu in /etc/grub.d/10_linux
you will get a beep when you press enter on an item but not when you arrow
passed it, at least that was the behavior when I tried it 6 months ago.
After you run update-grub you can look at /boot/grub/grub.cfg to see what
order the menu items will be in. The menu items don't appear to wrap so if
you want the last item you could arrow down a bunch of times and press
enter. Remember you must run update-grub to incorporate these changes into
grub.cfg. Also, info grub for grub docs.