Distros that include Speakup that are accessible to install

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 14:59:15 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 11:40:05AM -0700, Keith Hinton wrote:
> Also, I'm wondering how Speakup obtains information that's visible and is
> there any way to "redraw the screen" for it?
> I'm curious if it pulls the information off the video card like the old DOS
> days? Or something.
> I know that Linux itself for even the GUI screen readers out there, doesn't
> use an OSM. I'm curious therefore, what Speakup itself  uses.

Speakup uses the notifiers in the kernel.

Basically, it registers two functions that get called, one when a key is
pressed, and the other when something is written to a virtual terminal.
Those functions are told what was just written to the screen or which
key was pressed, and they pass that information to the rest of speakup
which then reads it.

William