If bash can, why not Speakup?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Nov 17 20:18:17 EST 2010

I realize the more this gets talked about, the more diluted it
probably becomes.  When I insert text with Vim or when I insert text in a command
line in Bash, speakup speaks everything following in that line.  I'm
sure this is because screen contents are being changed ans speakup
reflects this.  However, The old vi editor (probably elvis or
something) doesn't seem to exhibit this behavior but vim does.  I
usually have cursoring on when I do this.  I don't remember if this
changes when it is turned off.

Another thing that would help speakup behave better with curses type
applications would be to add support for user defined windows where
parts of the screen could be spoken or blocked.  This would be like
what is available in Vocal-Eyes and Window-Eyes for that matter.  This
is obviously a big project and I think it would be fun to add but not
sure how well that would work in a kernel based program.