enlarging terminal

pj at pjb.com.au pj at pjb.com.au
Tue Nov 2 19:05:08 EDT 2010

Greetings.   (list-newbie warning...)

My console boots with 80x25, but after udev has finished it becomes
160x65, which I can hardy read.  I want my 80-chars width back...

I've found lots of recipies for increasing my console font size,
but they all refer to files which don't exist on my debian squeeze.
I've also tried several dpkg-reconfigure commands.

Steve Holmes wrote:
> I'm using grub2 so I had to do a similar thing but had to be sure
> the grub.cfg file included a 'insmod vbe' before I could get any
> change in screen size; from there I used vga=790 as a kernel
> parameter to achieve a 48 row by 128 column screen.
> Another way you could get a large screen with grub2 is alter the
> values in /etc/default/grub to use gfxterm as the terminal output
> but then grub seemed a lot slower but I got a screen size of
> 96 rows by 256 columns!

My grub.cfg contains:
  function load_video {
    insmod vbe
    insmod vga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
  }

Should I be changing that to this?:
  function load_video {
    insmod vbe vga=NNN
    insmod vga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
  }

What NNN should I use to get back my 80x25 ?

Regards,  Peter Billam

http://www.pjb.com.au       pj at pjb.com.au      (03) 6278 9410
"Was der Meister nicht kann,   vermöcht es der Knabe, hätt er
 ihm immer gehorcht?"   Siegfried to Mime, from Act 1 Scene 2