speakup and ubuntu

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Tue May 18 19:03:22 EDT 2010

If you have choppy espeak, running palseaudio in system-wide mode
probably wont help.  However, here's what to do for an Ubuntu Lucid
system:

First, edit /etc/default/pulseaudio.  Find the line that says:
PULSEAUDIO_SYSTEM_START=0
and change it to:
PULSEAUDIO_SYSTEM_START=1

Next, edit /etc/pulse/client.conf.  Uncomment the line that says
; autospawn = yes
and change it to
autospawn = no

Now disable spawning of user-mode pulseaudio:
sudo rm -f /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop

Now, re-enabe the gnome volume control.  Edit
/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-volume-control-applet.desktop, and change
OnlyShowIn=XFCE;
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;XFCE;

Now, give everyone rights to use the sound card.  Edit /etc/pused -i
's/lse/system.pa, and change
load-module module-native-protocol-unix
load-module module-native-protocol-unix auth-anonymous=1

Note that the PulseAudio author seems to think this is crazy
recklessness.  Anyone already logged into your machine could listen
through your mic, or play obnoxious sounds without your permission.  I
wish those were the kinds of computer problems I had to actually worry
about!

Bill