speakup and ubuntu

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Tue May 18 16:22:14 EDT 2010

I just tried it on my somewhat modified version of Ubuntu 10.04 x64 (I
run Vinux).  Espeakup doesn't sound bad, but it's chopping off the end
of words.  I don't know what that's about.

Espeakup is nice, but I believe ospeakup feeding into opentts is
better.  On Vinux, we run a patched version of speechd-up feeding into
speech-dispatcher, which has some patches from the ospeakup fork of
speechd-up.  It's almost exactly like espeakup, but it also works with
voxin, which is what I prefer.  We run a system-wide copy of
speech-dispatcher for use by just speakup, so the reliability is rock
solid.  Just edit /etc/defaults/speech-dispatcher to enable this.  If
you like, you can get our patched speechd-up package from the
Vinux/Lucid PPA.  By the way, if you're running the desktop version of
Ubuntu Lucid, I think you'll be happier if you run pulseaudio in
system-wide mode.

Bill