speakup goto and putting speakup modules in initrd

Kitty Litter n8kl at insightbb.com
Tue May 4 18:28:33 EDT 2010

I found that if speakup is made a modules the goto problem I whined about
the other day is fixed. This is with speakup 3.1.5 and 2.6.32.9 kernel,
debian.
You can put the speakup modules in your initrd, which starts speakup much
earlier in the boot process. Back it up first.
install the initramfs-tools package.
cd /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks.
Either make a new script according to the initramfs-tools man page or if you
are lazy like me you can put the following line at the end of the
kernelextras script.
force_load speakup_audptr or whatever your synth is
This will also load all the dependencies for the module.
Then as root update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.32.9 or whatever kernel version.
If you want to examine the contents of your initrd file cd to an empty
directory and then
zcat /boot/initrd_file_for_your_kernel | cpio -i.
Now wouldn't it be nice if someone got this working with software speech?