Questions on ArchLinux for the blind

Zachary Kline zkline at speedpost.net
Sun Mar 21 16:05:16 EDT 2010

Cleverson Casarin Uliana <clever92000 at yahoo.com.br> writes:

> 1. After installing and configuring the base system, is it possible to
> set up the x server plus Gnome and setting up Orca without sighted
> assistance? There are instructions in the beginners guide to install a
> graphical environment, but no instructions for setting up Orca. Could
> you write down such steps, in case it is accessible to do?
I'll answer this as best I can.  It's been a while since I did it, so I
may have forgotten a point or two.
The first thing to do is follow the standard instructions for setting up
a graphical desktop on the wiki.  They're good and will take you far.
Once you've got them taken care of, just "pacman -S orca" as root and "orca
-t" as the user you'll be doing your GUI stuff with.  Run startx, and if
you've set up .xinitrc properly (instructions on the wiki) Orca should
come up as usual.
One thing to be aware of is that the orca package in the repository
isn't as updated as it could be.  Steve Holmes has created a package for
orca-git in the AUR, which you might want to look into once you're
familiar with Arch.  You don't need to repeat the orca setup steps again
if you should decide to switch to that.
I hope this helps.  Feel free to ask any more specific questions, I'll
do my best to answer them.
Best,
Zack.