Installing Fedora 12 From The Live CD Using Orca

Georgina Joyce r2gl at o2.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 06:08:36 EST 2010

Hi

The following set of notes from memory are a personal account on how I
installed Fedora 12 on a machine using NVidia chipset.  The ethernet
port was hard wired to my router and was allowed DHCP negotiation.
These steps worked for me.

Obviously the first issue is how to run orca as root with privileges to
undertake the install.  I opened a Gnome terminal and requested root
privileges.  Run orca and generated a .orbitrc file by these steps:

Pressed: alt F2.
# gnome terminal
# sudo su
# orca
Answered prompts as requested.
Allowed orca to log out and back in.
Pressed: alt F2.
# gnome terminal
# sudo su
# gedit /root/.orbitrc
 I wrote in the file, the following 2 lines:

ORBIIOPIPv4=1
ORBIIOPUNIX=0

See: http://live.gnome.org/Orca/SysAdmin#create_an_orbitrc_file

I then pressed ctrl +  s to save the file then alt F4 to exit gedit.
I then pressed alt + F4 twice to exit the terminals
I pressed ctrl + alt + d to give the desktop focus.
I cursered up and down and found the install icon and pressed enter.
It took a bit of guessing of what some of the dialogs were asking but it
was managable.  Tabbing around informed me what sort of interaction was
required.  I couldn't get orca to tell me that it wanted the hostname
for example.

Another difficulty was the region and time zone screen.  This is really
teadious and frustrating.  What I found was that orca will read the item
upon arrival but then just reads rubbish every couple of seconds or so.
I found if I rerun orca it would behave.  So by pressing alt + F2 and
typing orca.  Orca would restart and get out of the loop.

I forgot about the first boot steps so had to wait until someone sighted
arrived and told me what was going on.

It's not very nice but it is managable and worth it.

--
Gena

four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

    * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
(freedom 2).
    * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements
to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access
to the source code is a precondition for this.

Richard Matthew Stallman