we need a new way to access serial ports

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Mon Jun 28 13:34:04 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 01:00:37PM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> I don't understand which code you are talking about, please detail.

	The serial port code in the 2.6.33 kernels that was removed in
the 2.6.34 kernel, or what speakup is linking with now to access the
serial port in kernelspace.  I'm no real programmer, but it seems the
problem is the kernel development team removed some code from the kernel
that we need, from the 2.6.34 kernel.  Why not just look in the 2.6.33
kernel, which does have our code,, and paste it into speakup?  Sorry,
but I don't know what code is in the kernel, as I'm not too familiar
with C, but if the code we need is in 2.6.33, then why not just
cannibalize it for speakup.  We would just be accessing the serial ports
the original way, while the rest of the kernel world does it the new
way.

				Michael