big problem, please help, speakup and debian

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jun 9 16:14:18 EDT 2010

I haven't used speechd-up for quite some time. If you like espeakup, you
don't need speech-dispatcher and speechd-up. You can just install the
espeakup package. If you're running squeeze, you can just 'apt-get install
espeakup'. But even if you're running lenny, you can download the package
from a squeeze repository and install it. The package from squeezwe works in
lenny.

If you must use speech-dispatcher and speechd-up, you will need to follow
the installation instructions at the freesoft web site. These are somme of
the best instructions I've ever seen because they include tips on how to
tell if what you've done so far is working.  The problem is that just saying
that you don't get any speech after installing speech-dispatcher and
speechd-up isn't enough information to help you because there are about a
million ways that might not work.

http://cvs.freebsoft.org/doc/speechd-up/speechd-up_1.html