squeze questions

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Tue Jun 8 21:27:07 EDT 2010

Answers inline.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kristoffer Gustafsson
  To: Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.
  Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 6:12 AM
  Subject: squeze questions

  I've tried to compile a new kernel, but that kernel with speakup doesn't start whatever I do.
  I've selected everything I want to have, like modules and such, then I typed make all.
  Have I missed anything?

  Usually you compile kernels for debian with kernel-package
  apt-get install kernel-package fakeroot
  make-kpkg clean
  make config or whatever
  make-kpkg --revision=custom.1 --initrd kernel_image
  dpkg -i kernel-image-x.x.x_custom.1.deb

  My questions are as follows.
  1. sound card.
  How do I change from my built in sound card on the motherboard to my soundblaster audigy 2zs without alsaconf?

  edit /etc/modutils.d/alsa and set
  options options snd-audigy index=1
  or whatever the module for your audigy card is called.
  You'll want squeeze for the later sound modules that work better with the zs.

  Then run
  update-modules I believe it is.
  This is documented in /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/Readme.Debian.gz I believe.

  and finally, maybe a little off topic for this list, but is there any way to do so that I get the status cells to the left side of my braille display instead of the right?
  It feels very uncomfortable to have them there.

  Try the brltty documentation, it should have details what is and isn't configurable.

  I remember seeing manpages and the like on the brltty website although it has been a while since I looked.
  Regards, Kerry.