rfc: /dev/softsynth permissions

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 18:56:11 EDT 2010

William Hubbs wrote:
> I saw that on my system there are some devices which are set up that
> way, so I am wondering if we can do it with softsynth.  Would there be
> any security issues?  Does anyone know of any linux kernel policies that
> would not allow it?

Yes, there are security issues.  If the device is set 666, and
others have accounts on your machine, then you have absolutely no privacy
whilst working at the console and using Speakup.

Yes, some devices do have permissions of 666.  They don't pose security
problems, or they are otherwise handled specially.

-- Chris