speakup enabled rescue cd

keith barrett lists at barrettpianos.co.uk
Fri Jul 16 13:06:16 EDT 2010

Thanks, Kerry, talking now.

Thrown up some interesting things, though, think I will need to do a new
install.

A bit of history in case anyone is interested.

Been using debian testing for some time and I noticed that although some
newer kernels had been downloaded, it was still booting one from January.

The newer ones were listed in the grub menu.lst.

After lots of googling, I upgraded to grub pc and at that point it would
not boot any more.

Using the rescue cd, I found that the hard disk is sda1 and swop is
sda5.  However, in the menu list they are listed as hda0.

Also, in /etc/fstab it says that the system was installed on hda1.
So, I am thinking that something has gone fairly badly wrong with the
system.

I was able to get the sfuff my my home directory so, unless anyone has
any ideas, I will get the latest debian testing and start again.

It has certainly reminded me howto use mount and umount but could have
made better use of the last 3 days.

Sorry for the ramble and thanks for the help.

Incidently, I did change the drives in the menu.lst to sda1 but still
got error 15.