synth_direct usage question

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Fri Jul 2 04:29:15 EDT 2010

Good day,
I were under the impression that I can echo a 1 to the synth_direct ebntry
in the /sys/accessibility/speakup directory to tell speakup to just pass
the punct/special chars directly to the synthesizer.
When I did that, it spoke the one and I also saw that the "file" has -w-
-w- -w- permitions,
, write-only.
This with openttsd and ospeakup running, not that that should be relevant.
I obviously got the use of synth_direct wrong, could someone please
correct me in how I should go about in doing what I want?
I am working on northern sotho for espeak, a language that has quite a
number of
chars above decimal code 128 and I need to get them spoken in speakup.
This can also be terminal settings, but sometimes, I get <C5> when the
char is dec 197, so its the hex code for the character and not the symbol
that I here.
Any ideas?
TIA, Willem