Spam protection strategies, was:x ot, spamassassin question

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 22 13:32:05 EST 2010

From: "Chuck Hallenbeck" <chuckh at ftml.net>
> Congratulations on taming your spamassassin configuration. I just
> finished installing a different spam protection here, much easier, and
> with a different strategy. It uses vipul's "razor" and integrates
> nicely with procmailrc and mutt. Razor is a collaborative spam
> protection scheme, and works a lot like "denyhosts" in that false
> positives and false negatives are reported to a distributed set of
> hosts one by one as they are encountered, and each email the user
> checks for spam is tested against the collective data base. It is the
> consensus of razor users that distinguishes between ham and spam, and
> that consensus is constantly being updated as the FP's and FN's are
> reported. Also, each user acquires a "trust level" as his reports are
> made, based on the soundness of his judgment in making the report.

Spamassassin can be configuredt to use razor. We use bayesian rules, some
downloaded rules, my own custom rules, razor and dcc (Distributed Checksom
Clearinghouse) in determining the spam score for a message.

I have not seen a false positive in my own mail and no user has reported a
false positive for about 2 years. And I probably catch about 98% of spam.