X access was Re: Debian upgrade

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Wed Jan 20 14:11:07 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 06:10:22AM -0600, Chris Brannon wrote:
> The X-window system only offers low-level abstractions.  It concerns
> itself with the rendering of bitmapped images on graphical devices.

	So, you're saying that the information X.org is receiving from,
say, X-Chat is all graphical information?  Weird.  Whoever came up with
that idea for how to do things must be a brain-dead moron, because
working with themes must be beyond hope where beauty is concerned.  I
used to love working with semi-transparent backgrounds, and making it
appear as if programs were being displayed on smoked glass, being able
to see other programs underneath the currently active program.  I
thought it was visually stunnning, myself.  For the blind, I guess it
would be like having multiple voices coming from a set of quadraphonic
speakers, having a Susan voice over the left shoulder, and a Brian voice
over the right, and George in front., all talking at once.  Anyway, the
lack of standards was why I stopped caring about Orca.  They're just
going to be spending their entire careers, sweeping up after everyone
else, every time there's an upgrade.  Telling everyone in the GUI Linux
world they have to re-do everything from scrach to support accessibility
probably isn't on the menu. <sighs>

				Michael