ot, spamassassin question

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jan 19 15:43:38 EST 2010

One thing you should check is to see if bayesian filtering is even working.
Maybe the sa-learn command is having no effect for one reason or another.
You can configure spamassassin to put a verbose log in the message header.
If you do that and if bayesian filtering is working, you should see lines
like the following in the message headers:

 *  3.5 BAYES_99 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%

That line is good. It means spamassassin used bayesian logic to figure out
that this message was spam and added 3.5 to the spam score.  If it was only
50% certain, it would have added less. If the probably is less than that, it
subtracts from the score.

You can check to see if bayesian filtering is working by looking for lines
like the one above in your message headers and seeing if spamassassin seems
to be learning to identify spam. If those lines do not appear or if the
probabilities don't seem to be increasing as you'd expect, you will have to
investigate further.

Things to check:
Is bayesian filtering turned on in your spamassassin local.cf file?
Does the end user have write access to her bayesian rules database file?