Man, I think the last Debian upgrade really trashed my system...

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Mon Jan 18 13:09:11 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:06:50AM -0600, Chris Brannon wrote:
> Michael <gaijin at clearwire.net> wrote:
> > 	Man, I dunno what happened to speakup, but I just did the Debian
> > upgrade and now speakup is repeating itself and warbling the sound
> > volume all over the place.  I would be typing something and it would
> > start repeating what I'd typed.  I finally had to disable espeakup and
>
> I have never seen anything like that.
> What versions of the software are you running?

Chris,

The symptoms sound suspiciously like the behavior of my own system when
I was mistakenly using the ltlk synthesizer without first killing
espeakup, so that speakup was somehow directing output to both the soft
synth and the serial point, alternating between, and generally driving
us both nuts, do you recall?

The immediate fix was simply to pkill espeakup.  The longterm fix was
to properly switch between synths, e.g., using talkwith, or doing the
same thing manually.

If that's his problem, it has nothing to do with debian at all.

Chuck

               General web site: www.mhcable.com/~chuckh
              Also available from: www.hallenbeck.ftml.net
                Audio editor weblog: edway.wordpress.com
               Or jabber 1on1 with me, chuckh1 at jabber.org
                                --------
 People in general do not willingly read if they have anything else to
amuse them. -- S. Johnson