Speakup and PCI Express Serial Cards

Trevor Astrope astrope at tabbweb.com
Fri Jan 15 10:58:54 EST 2010

Hello again,

I'm still having trouble detecting my Dectalk Express with the latest
speakup. This time I'm using FC12 with kernel 2.6.31 with speakup 3.1.5
from git as of yesterday.

The issue is that the Dectalk cannot be found. I get the error below.

FATAL: Error inserting speakup_dectlk
(/lib/modules/2.6.31.9-174.fc12.x86_64/speakup/speakup_dectlk.ko): No such
device

The serial port is provided by an Axxon pci express card. I can
communicate with the Dectalk in minicom with the serial port set to ttyS0
and 9600,n,8,1. The [:ver speak] command will result in the Dectalk
speaking its firmware version.

So, I know the serial port works, but for some reason speakup is unable to
detect the Dectalk. Note, I've also tried a vanilla 2.6.32 kernel as well
as a modified 2.6.18 rhel5 kernel. I'm pretty confident that this isn't
kernel related, but speakup or hardware related. Likely a combination of
both, since I presume others are using the latest speakup with the Dectalk
Express.

Is anyone able to help? I have a spare pci express serial card I can
provide to anyone willing to help.

Thanks,

Trevor