Speakup with Fedora or Redhat

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Jan 14 16:20:42 EST 2010

Hi,

Some responses in line below ...

Tim Culhane writes:
> I work as a software engineer and many of the products I work with run on
> Linux,  and the preferred  flavour is Redhat Enterprise Server.
>
> AsI'm blind I want to use a flavour of linux which works with speakup on my
> desk top.
>
> I know that speakup works with Fedora  and that Fedora is based on Redhat.

Actually, Redhat is based on Fedora. In other words, updates, upgrades,
new features/approaches, etc., are first introduced in Fedora and
eventually make there way into RHEL. If you go with RHEL today, you're
at least three Fedora versions behind current accessibility on Fedora.
Not very much of a big deal vis a vis the console and Speakup, but a
very very big deal vis a vis the gui and Orca.

> There appears to be a modified speakup distribution of Fedora 9 available.

Not any longer. We just pulled it. Fedora 12 is recommended. It's
posted, even though I haven't updated the web page.

> So,  I've the following questions:
>
> 1.  If I go with Redhat as opposed to Fedora, which version of Redhat should
> I use.  Will speakup be compiled into this kernel or does it need to be done
> manually.  If it needs to be done manually is documentation available for
> this process?

You may have trouble building Speakup into RHEL kernels. There's no
documentation, either. Bette4r to go Fedora 12 and use a Speakup
Modified kernel.

> 2.  If there really isn't much difference between Fedora and Redhat, which
> version of Fedora should I use?  Is there a modified speakup distribution
> for Fedora 12?  If not,  can speakup be compiled into the Fedora 12 kernel?
> Is there documentation?

Documentation lags, sorry. Look at the telnet guide for installation.
Or, if you have a drive to devote, you can install directly.

> 3.  I will need to use a software based synthesizer.  I believe TTSync is
> the one closest to Eloquence, which I use on windows.  Will TTSync work with
> the latest versions of speakup on Fedora and Redhat?  Since it is software
> based, I'm assuming that TTSync won't speak from boot up?  If not, can I use
> an alternative during boot up and then switch to TTSync?

TTSynth is not available currently due to technical problems. You can
use espeak.

Janina