Linux Parted question (fwd)

Georgina Joyce r2gl at o2.co.uk
Wed Jan 13 09:34:29 EST 2010

Hi

We just discussed using dd on a mbr.  writing to 512 bytes destroys the
partition table as well as the MBR.  Kerry suggests 446.  But this would
make your MS OS unbootable.  From memory of your question.  If you
install a linux distro and putting the grub signature in the master boot
record, this will overwrite any virus residing there.

Gena
On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 20:26 -0600, Glenn Ervin wrote:
> Hi Joseph,
> There are two other partitions which I would prefer to not lose the data
> from.  I have not yet ran Ubuntu on this system, but when I do, I am sure
> that it is SDA2 & SDA3 that I don't wish to damage.  SDA1 may be erased, as
> it is likely the infected partition, but one of the other partitions is
> hidden, and it may be SDA3.  But I don't know how this will effect the
> partitions other than SDA1.
> Thanks.
> Glenn

Gena

four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

    * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
(freedom 2).
    * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements
to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access
to the source code is a precondition for this.

Richard Matthew Stallman