Linux Parted question (fwd)

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Tue Jan 12 10:45:30 EST 2010

>From another list, a person with a problem?  I can share any ideas with them
hem.
Karen

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:40:44 -0600
From: "Ervin, Glenn" <glenn.ervin at NEBRASKA.GOV>
To: BLIND-L at LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Linux Parted question

Hi All,
I know this is not the best list for this question, but I am not subscribed to a Linux group from  this computer.
Anyway, I need to rewrite the MBR of a computer that is running windows, and rather than making a boot CD for this using DOS, I have a Linux Ubuntu live CD, and I was wondering if one of two options will help.
* If I install Ubuntu, as a dual-boot system, and there is a virus on the boot partition, will Grub rewrite the entire MBR partition thus removing the virus?
Or,
Does the partition editor in Linux called Parted have the equivalent to the dos command:
fDisk /MBR
?
I plan on reinstalling windows, but if there is a virus on the MBR, it will just reappear, and although there are other options, this one would be the best for now.
Thanks.
Glenn