espeakup vs speechd-up and speech dispatcher

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Tue Jan 12 04:41:55 EST 2010

Hi.
It's been a while since I used speechd-up.  I'm not sure if it's even being developed any more.
One issue to consider is the problem with speech-dispatcher crashing with certain sound cards.  It will crash if I use it with my on board card,
but works fine with my sblive.  Espeakup works fine on the card that causes speech-dispatcher to crash.
Since I rarely use Gnome now days, I use espeakup and let Orca use the gnome-speech driver for espeakup when I need to run Gnome.

          Kenny