Speakup with Fedora or Redhat

Darragh Ó Héiligh lists at digitaldarragh.com
Fri Jan 8 06:44:56 EST 2010

Espeak would probably be your best bet to get started.

In terms of modules for Speakup, you'd use the SoftSynth module and it
would connect to speech-dispatcher and speechd_up which in turn
connects to the synthesizer.  This is probably less complicated now.
It has been a few years since I've done anything with that.

You should look at the build instructions for Vinux on the vinux
project blog.  It gives some great ideas for creating an accessible
linux environment.

One thing to keep in mind and it was the most important line of the
installation howto.  Installing Linux and getting it to your liking is
the hardest part about Linux.

Don't expect it to work the way you want it to over night if your
going to heavily use software speech in the CLI.

In saying that, if your good with using Orca in Gnome, you can get
Fedora up and running in about an hour and everything will be fine
within reason.