Speakup and vinux

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Jan 7 13:00:37 EST 2010

I reported earlier that I had installed vinux on a Gateway P.C.
with only 64 megs of RAM and it did not completely build. This
has nothing to do with speech except that I could sure hear the
errors. Well, I gave that system another try but increased the
swap partition by adding a second swap at the expense of the
primary one such that I now have about 256 megs of swap space.

	the Live CD detects any swaps you have already set but
since this was new one, I used

swapon /dev/hda3

as that was its partition number. To see your swap, use swapon
-s and it should report everything it sees as swap space.

	This morning, I left for work before it had stopped
grinding on this new installation, but so far, there have been
no more errors of the "no space left on device" type.

	If it is still appearing to load this evening, I will
know it is stuck in never-never land, but I expect it to finish.

	The moral of the story is to not be too cheap when
setting up swap if you have limited RAM.

	I did try vinux on another system at work that presently
has Windows on its hard drive and limited RAM and it will not
even send the 5 bells at the beginning of the boot sequence. It
probably has no Unix swap space at all so I will just need to
find about 190 megs of RAM so it can build its RAM disks.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer