Speakup and vinux

Georgina Joyce r2gl at o2.co.uk
Wed Jan 6 08:30:42 EST 2010

Hi Kerry,

Is there anything in the MBR?  My memory reminds me that in the days of
Win 9x, to remove grub or lilo signatures we just wrote zeros to the MBR
which then resumed the booting to command.com etc.  So does 2000, XP
Vista put something in the MBR?

Thanks.

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 10:52 +1100, Kerry Hoath wrote:
> Technically this is incorrect, the command you gave backs up both the mbr
> and partition table.
> If you then install Linux and restore this sector it will remove the
> partition entries where Linux was installed, rendering windows bootable and
> Linux invisible.
>
> You would be better to back up the mbr with the following command:
> dd bs=446 count=1 if=/dev/sda of=winmbr.bin
> replacing /dev/sda with the correct block device for your hard disk.
> The first 446 bytes contain the mbr and the last bytes minus 2 contain the
> partition table.
> The last 2  bytes of the sector are set to 0X55AA or 0XAA55 to show the bios
> the drive contains bootable operating system(s).
>
> Generally it is good practice to set 1 partition active however if Grub Lilo
> or another boot manager controlls the mbr this is not required.
> Some bioses will refuse to consider a drive bootable unless 1 of the
> partitions is set active.
> Regards, Kerry.

Gena

four kinds of freedom, for the users of the software:

    * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
(freedom 2).
    * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements
to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access
to the source code is a precondition for this.

Richard Matthew Stallman